Invest in yourself with high-quality coaching and you will experience the power!
- ask the coach about his or her coach-specific training and certification,
- about the ethical standards he or she is following and
- his or her experience in this field.
The difference between a qualified coach and any consultant: The first will support you on your individual way and provide you with the essential information automatically based on their professional standards. The latter will just give you some advice based on their own experience.
But who is actually allowed to coach or call themselves a coach? And why is it so powerful?
In fact, the profession and the concept of coaching is not (yet) protected in Germany: The German legislator only becomes active when there is a justified interest or “danger to life and limb “. This makes sense: The profession of a lawyer or physician has at some point become a state-recognised and regulated profession in contrast to the general consulting profession. The training and the conclusion of the nationally recognized training, the national conclusion and the permission, as well as the conclusion of a professional liability insurance, aim to protect the consumer against the damage. Coaching has developed as a special method over 50 years ago from the still quite recent psychology: with special communication tools such as W-questions, mirroring and feedback, as well as goal setting. The coach should support the coachee and help he or she with their personal development. And: It is important to separate coaching from other formats and methods, such as training or consulting.
So what is Quality in Coaching all about?
Quality coaching must:
- Be performed/conducted/carried out by a coach who is trained in coaching
- Have an accredited curriculum of the training by a professional association
- Have a coach, who is committed to the ethical guidelines of his or her association or make his or her own basis of the contract
- Have a coach, who should strive for a certification, which should be renewed regularly, e.g. the ACC, PCC, MCC of the ICF (which additionally requires a practical examination as well as some practical experience)
- Have a coach, who should provide evidence of his annual further training
- Have a coach, who should have field expertise in the professional field of the coachee, as well as have completed his own personality development (recommended age: over 35 years old)
- Have a coach, who should pay attention and point out the transparent and strict separation of coaching and other methods such as therapy, workshop, counselling, mentoring
Reality shows us, that many “wannabe coaches” are not aware of this sensitivity:
- the coachee supposedly goes into expert hands
- the coachee trust in the coach
- the coachee provides personal data
So when do you want to kick off your year and reach your 2020-goals with the power of coaching? Invest in yourself only with high-quality coaching!